Dog Saves Sleeping Family From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

A beloved dog is being hailed as a hero by a family in Iowa for saving them from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Brad Harbert said his dog Roxy is mild-mannered, but that night she was very active.

Herbert was sound asleep when Roxy started jumping on his bed.

“She just was jumping off my bed, jumping back up on the bed. When I started to come to, I was hearing an alarm, and it wasn’t the smoke alarm,” Harbert told WHO13.

“I jumped out of bed. Right when I did, Roxy came out to the hallway … I grabbed the [carbon monoxide] detector and found out that if it chirps four times … there’s active carbon monoxide in the house.”

Harbert quickly sprang into action and gathered his son, father and Roxy. He took them out of the house and called 911.

Officials determined the odorless, yet deadly gas was leaking from Harbert’s electric and gas fireplace.

“She can tell something was wrong that night when she woke me up and just her actions, she was kind of shivering and just really concerned that we would get outside. [I’m] very, very happy to have a dog and very happy to have her,” said Harbert.